Part I. Write short essays (about one page each) on three of the following key terms. Tell why the person, place, or agricultural product, is important to the early history of America. Explain how it relates to major events or concepts we have been discussing. Please make sure the information you cover in Part I is different from what you cover in Part II.
Wild Card (any key term from the handouts for Chapters 1 and 2)
Part II. Write an essay of one and one half pages on one of the following questions:
1. Native Cultures. Examine the history of native cultures in three different parts of North America before 1500. What common characteristics do you see among the various native cultures? In what ways were native cultures different from each other?
2. The Spanish. Explain the causes and consequences of Spanish involvement in the Americas in the 1400s and 1500s. What do you see as the long range impact of these developments?
3. The World in 1500. Explain how various parts of the world were coming together in the 1400s and 1500s. Which events do you think had the largest impact on global trade? How did the rise of global trade affect people in Europe and the Americas?
Part III. Illustrations. Provide a picture to go with each of your essays in Part I and Part II. Briefly explain what is in the picture. Tell how the picture helps us understand key points you are writing about.
Keys for Success:
1. Explain your points simply, like you would to another student.
2. Write in short paragraphs.
3. Use specific examples from our readings and class discussion.
4. Relate your answers to major concepts and trends we have covered.