- The trait approach to leadership came under intense criticism in the 1940s. In the decades that followed, the emphasis in leadership thought turned to what leaders did rather than who they were. How do leadership traits fit into modern (1980 and later) theories of leadership?
- Discuss how the path-goal theory of leadership is built upon the expectancy theory of motivation.
- Both Fiedler’s contingency theory and Hersey’s situational theory are concerned with leader behaviors and situational contingencies. However, they diverge on their assumptions about the about the behavioral flexibility of leaders. Do you believe, like Fiedler, that people in general are best suited to lead with a particular style and effectiveness depends on the match between their preferred style and the situation, or, like Hersey, that people can effectively adapt their leadership style to fit the demands of different situations? Discuss.
- Smircich and Morgan wrote that “leadership is realized in the process whereby one or more individuals succeed in attempting to frame and define the reality of others.” What did they mean by this?
- Use an example from one of the moviesor your own experience to describe how someone was able to exercise leadership influence without possessing legitimate, reward, and coercive power. What sources of influence did they draw upon?
- Discuss the relationship of emotional intelligence to effective leadership.
- Hollander introduced the notion of idiosyncrasy credit.Explain what this means and give an example from one of the movies or your personal experience of this principle in operation.
8. When modern bureaucratic systems emerged in the 19th century, they were seen as rational, technocratic, rule-governed, merit-based, and efficient replacements for the feudal hierarchies of the past. Yet, as described by Jackall and as illustrated in the movie Paths of Glory, bureaucracy as found in both corporate and governmental organizations suffers from its own corruptions. Can ethical leadership survive in these systems? If so, how
To get a custom written paper, place an order with us!
Additional Benefits for you
♦ 24/7 customer support
♦ On-time delivery guarantee
♦ Plagiarism-free research papers
♦ Affordable and student-friendly prices
♦ Scholarly-rich custom-written papers
♦ 100% privacy and confidentiality